"Löwengebäude" Auditorium of the Martin Luther Universität Halle-Wittenberg
On the grounds of the former Franciscan monastery, the first house of a university complex project was built in 1832-34 to plans by Ernst Friedrich Zwirner and Wilhelm Heinrich Matthias. The building got its name from the two lions lining the flight of steps. The late neoclassical staircase and auditorium are adorned by giant portraits of the university founders, busts and portraits of famous scholars and frescoes on allegorical themes.
Universitätsplatz 11 (Auditorium „Löwengebäude“)
06108 Halle (Saale)