Visible from far and wide, the four towers of the Marktkirche and the freestanding “Rote Turm”, or Red Tower, with its impressive carillon are the hallmarks of Halle’s Marktplatz. At the centre of Marktplatz is the memorial to the city’s most famous son, George Frideric Handel.
The solemn ceremony in honor of our great composer is taking place on the market square in front of the Handel Statue. The program is arranged by young artistic talents of the city of Halle. Children’s and Youth’s choirs and the orchestra of the hallensian music schools perform Handel’s works.
In 1859, on the occasion of George Frederic Handel’s 100 th day of death, the Handel Statue was erected in the attendance of Queen Victoria. The appeal to erect the Handel Statue came from the Committee for the preparation of the composer’s 100th day of death, which was founded in 1855, initiated by Ludwig Wucher. Not only in Halle but also in England this appeal was greatly supported, and the English Handel Committee under the patronage of Queen Victoria sponsored the amount of 2,500 Thaler (around 10 % of the construction sum).