The opera house opened in 1907 under the name of Centraltheater and served as a venue for operettas in the 1920s. Having been destroyed at the end of World War II, it was rebuilt and during the GDR period bore name of Maxim Gorki Theatre. It suffered extensive damage by a fire in 1990 and after lengthy renovation reopened in 1997 as the theatre of the state capital. Finally, in 2004 a merger took place: Theater Magdeburg is now the four-division theatre of the state capital, with separate ensembles for music theatre, ballet, concerts and drama. The Opera House on Universitätsplatz is a tradition-steeped venue for music theatre, ballet and concerts.
Magdeburg Opera House